Sunday, January 24, 2010

Binders and Draft Horses

In a recent email from my sister, she wrote about the moment when our parents decided that it was time to buy a swathers.  She referenced the machine to be replaced as ????.  The ???? represented a binder, a machine pulled by a tractor, that cut the nearly ripen grain, gathered the stalks together until there were enough to bind into a bundle with a twine.  It was the mechanism the tied the twine that failed so frequently that they decided to buy the next generation machinery.

Draft horses?  Surely draft horses could be considered a common symbol of our ancestors upon their arrival on the farmland of the Dakotas.  I only remember grandpa Ziegler and Lenhart using horses in my days.  I do remember horses at the Saxowskys but never did I see them used.

When did we get our first tractor?  Was it a John Deere A or B?

No comments:

Post a Comment